Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Grass Cutting, continued

I wrote yesterday about mowing the grass differently, and I promised a picture. So we'll get those out of the way first and then I'll explain why I did this.



I've always had a fascination with the grass patterns some Major League Baseball stadiums used. When I was a kid growing up in the '70s and '80s, not many stadiums had a special mowing pattern, or so it seemed. Being a fan of the Astros of the National League and given that half of the 12 NL teams in existence at the time used artificial turf, I didn't see many games on TV where the grass had special mowing patterns.

For whatever reason, it seemed AL stadiums were the ones who tried to spruce up the grass look a bit, and the California (now Los Angeles...of Anaheim, ugh!) Angels seemed to be the team that sticks out in my mind for this. Anaheim Stadium had these cross-cutting diamonds mowed in to the grass that just looked really cool.

And the other day, I was driving down the road and I saw a yard that looked liked it had been mowed diagonally. So I said to myself, "What the hey?" and decided to try it myself. The photo above really doesn't do it justice, especially since I mulch and the remaining grass accounts for half of the diagonal lines left by my handiwork.

I may do it again in the backyard, but the front yard was a bear to do it diagonally, so I doubt I'll do anything special there. Plus, in the backyard, I can experiment some more and if I mess up, the rest of the neighborhood can't see it.

If nothing else, I made a dreary task a little more interesting, and sometimes, it's just the little things that make life enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment